Rowntree Park is a short walk from the city centre, situated on Terry Avenue by the River Ouse.
A short walk from the city centre, on the banks of the River Ouse, this inspiring 30-acre park has undergone a £1.8million refurbishment, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, restoring it to its original splendour.
The park was a gift to the City of York by Messrs Rowntree & Co. in 1921 and is a memorial to the Cocoa Works staff who fell and suffered during World War 1. A set of listed gates off Terry Avenue were added to the park in memory of those who fell in the World War II. Bronze plaques mark both occasions within the centrally located Lych Gate.